Things which make you feel excited to be alive
Most of us get lost in drudgery from time to time. I know I do. Real life will not always be exciting, and Zen students in particular are encouraged to sit still for some time every day, as if letting leaves settle from the storm.
When we do, a vibrant aliveness emerges. However, being human, I’m not always good at letting the leaves settle. Particularly when hard times hit – maybe I won’t have seen sunshine for weeks, and I’m facing more challenges than normal – I’m prone to depression and a ‘giving up’ state of mind.
When this happened a couple of days ago, I listened and asked myself, is this really all I’m aware of? Perversely, I kind of wanted it to be. Depression is real – but it can also be a convenient story which puts my problem in a box so I don’t have to do anything about it.
But then I opened up awareness, and noticed a whole load of other things which complicated the picture. I’m thinking I’m depressed, but actually I’m really enjoying the sun on my skin, a connection with a friend, an idea I just got. So there’s more to the story.
These are the things which make me feel alive. What are yours?
- A good story
- A good friend
- Groups of people coming together to make good things happen
- Single-minded passion for a cause or subject, in me and in others
- When I’ve made something well
- When others want something I’ve made
- Seeing other people flourish
- Meditation (the act of)
- The breathless understanding that space is infinite
- Fashion! Vibrant, creative, expressive
- Dreams, which bolster me to dare to reach for the stars.
- Exercise (the effects of!)
- Good dub, electronica & ska. The beat runs through my hips.
- The desert and the desert sky
- Tropical air, like warm folds of fabric
- Snowfall. Perfect silence